HIAWATHA PASSENGER CARS
Fox Valley Models is proud to offer the 1935 Milwaukee Road Hiawatha Project. This classic train will be is recreated in HO and N Scales to celebrate the Trains's 75th Anniversary. When introduced, the train was lead by the sleek and powerful Class A 4-4-2. Following was America's first Tap - Cafe car, three Coaches, a Parlor car and Milwaukee's unique Beaver Tail Observation. All are available in State of the Art Injection molding with numerous add on details. The locomotive includes a smooth and powerful DCC ready drive. Cars feature metal wheelsets, wire grab irons, knuckle couplers and interiors.
About the Hiawatha
Drawn by the first newly built scientifically streamlined steam locomotives, designed for speed faster than steam locomotive ever attained heretofore, two Milwaukee Road speed-lined trains were placed in daily service between Chicago and St. Paul-Minneapolis on May 29, 1935. The 410 miles between Chicago and St. Paul are covered in 390 minutes.
Traversing territory rich in Indian lore, the train is named the Hiawatha for the great Mohawk Chief whose legendary endowments, as immortalized by Longfellow, includes swiftness of foot:
"He could shoot an arrow from him,
And run forward with such fleetness
That the arrow fell behind him!"
The oil-burning steam locomotives were especially designed for this particular service. They have a steam pressure of 300 lbs.: driving wheels are 7 feet in diameter.
Load weight of the engine is 280,000 lbs. Loaded weight of tender is 247,500 lbs. Length of engine and tender 85 ft. Boiler pressure 300 lbs. Water capacity of tender 13,000 gals. Fuel oil capacity of tender 4,000 gals. Maximum tractive power 30,700 lbs. The whistle is above the headlight. The bell is directly inside the grating at the extreme front end. The "smoke stack" is just back of the headlight. A smoke elevator lifts the smoke up so that it is carried off above the cars. The housing on the extreme front of the engine may be opened exposing a standard coupler, in the event it is desirable to couple an engine or car to forward end.
All the coaches, the parlor cars and the cafe cars are speed-lined, full size, of welded steel construction, about one third lighter in weight than the cars generally in use. The cafe cars have special buffet features and the luxuriosly appointed coaches have conveniences new to coach patrons. To reduce air resistance the contour of all cars conforms to the locomotive, presenting a smooth unbroken line from head end to the rear of the "beaver tail" cars at the end. All of the cars are air conditioned.
Introduction of the first speed-lined steam train continued the Milwaukee Road's outstanding record of contributions to modern railroading. It was the first line between Chicago and the Twin Cities and is still the only double tracked route; was the first to use steam heat and electric lights on Chicago-Twin Cities trains and the first to operate all-steel trains between Chicago and the Twin Cities. It was the first line to adopt roller bearings for through passenger trains, and has pioneered in the operation of trains across mountain ranges by electric power, and it is the only railroad operating over its own rails all the way from Chicago to the North Pacific Coast.
Routed via Milwaukee and LaCrosse the new speed trains operate via the line over which the United States government has routed its mail trains between Chicago and the Twin Cities for more than a half century.
Excerpt from "The Milwaukee Road 1847-1935"
OUR LINE UP
Class A Locomotive #1, Tap-Cafe Car, Coaches 4419, 4428, 4439, Parlor Car Minnewawa, Observation Wenonah.
FVM 10001 | $599.95
ADD ON COACHES
Ridership quickly grew and a 4th coach was added on June 15, 1935, and a 5th coach added on Aug 3, 1935. Max train size was 9 cars for a Class A.
FVM 10031 | $64.95 | Coach #4401
FVM 10032 | $64.95 | Coach #4437